Soya chunks stir fry.
We are all familiar with this product called Sossi or soy chunks, some may enjoy the dish but most really don’t know what it is or what its made of. Sossi is a textured soya vegetable protein and a by product of soy flour with soy bean oil. They are one of the easiest “meat” like dishes to prepare since its already pre cooked. Courtesy of my mother’s recipe, this is how to go about this dish.
Making ” Soya Chunks Stir Fry”
Prep time: 5 mins Cook time: 30 mins = 35 mins
Serves : 4 pax
- 2 packets of sossi
- 2 medium white onions
- 1/2 a can of canned tomatoes
- 1 -1/2 cups of water
- At least 4 Tsp of vegetable cooking oil
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of coriander
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp of ginger powder
- a pinch of cayenne chili
- NO SALT REQUIRED
- In a sauce pan on medium low heat, add vegetable cooking oil and the soya chunks. Mix everything together till the soya chunks are covered with the oil. They should look like they are slightly dump. Immediately switch off heat when they start to burn. Place them in a separate dish.
2. Using the same sauce pan, saute the white onions till slightly browned, then add in half of the canned tomatoes with the spices mixed together- for at least 2 mins. Add in the soya chunks mix till well combined
3. Immediately, add in 1 -1/2 cups of water, mix and cover to allow it to simmer for 15 -18 mins. Make sure to mix it up every 3 mins, since it normally sticks at the bottom. The water will eventually reduce in size hence thickening.
4. Turn off heat and serve immediately.
There is no need to season it with salt since its quite salty on it own.
Feel free to serve it with other foods like my choice which was – fried kale and chapati.