Ever bought granola from the supermarket and asked yourself, why in the world are they so damn expensive? Me too! At one point in my shopping life, I told myself this impulse buying of granola has to stop, so I gave myself the task of finding out what I needed to recreate a recipe that will sort me out for good. After a couple of trials, I re-created the perfect recipe that I don’t mind sharing with you.
But first, find the ingredients below. Remember, nothing is cast on stone, the world should be your oyster.
Making “Homemade Granola” – Better than store bought!!
Prep time: 15mins Bake time: 45 mins Total time: 1 hour
Yields: 2 -1/4 liters
- 100 g of dried diced mangoes
- 100 g of dried diced pineapples
- 100 g of sultanas
- 350 g of nuts of choice ( using – roasted cashew nuts + peanuts)
- 150 g of blanched raw crushed almonds
- 4 cups of old fashion rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of sunflower veggie oil
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 1 Tablespoon of vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
*Important tools used*
- An oven
- A large baking tray
- serving spoon
- aluminum foil
- Mixing bowls
- measuring cups /Spoons
- Add all the wet ingredients together and mix well. Set that aside.
- Add all the dry ingredients together with the spices and combine well.
- Pour the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and thoroughly mix everything in until well combined.
- Place the mixture onto a lined baking tray with aluminum foil, and spread them out.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius, for 45 mins. Make sure to check in between the time frame, until they get golden brown.
- Once baked, let it cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for 3 weeks. If frozen, it can last up to 3 months.
What else would you like to add to your homemade granola mix?